Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Obsession of the Day: Lew Ayres

Lew Ayres-6 
I would like to call to attention the man known as Lewis Ayres, Lew for short.


Lew Ayres-5
I fell in love with this man since I saw him make an entrance, hung over, as Katharine Hepburn’s cutely spoiled, alcoholic brother in Holiday (1938).

I got to obsessing about him after I posted something about his role as a naive boy who has a crush on Greta Garbo in The Kiss (1929).


Lew Ayres-4
He has quite an impressive body of work, having also starred in All Quiet on the Western Front (1930).


Lew Ayres-3
He was nominated for a best actor Oscar for Johnny Belinda (1948) but lost to Laurence Olivier in Hamlet (1948).

Lew Ayres
He was married to Ginger Rogers from 1934 to 1940.

Lew Ayres-1
And how can I resist a man in ice skating leotards…easily, but you know, I’ll make an exception for him and Jimmy Stewart in The Ice Follies of 1939. I haven’t seen the movie but I am very intrigued since Joan Crawford also stars in it (she did all ranges of movies didn’t she? Westerns, horror, film noir, Mannequin with Spencer Tracy…) I have no idea where to begin hunting down for this movie.  I am dying to see it if only for the novelty of seeing these three stars in those costumes.

Ginger Rogers as a wife?  Ice skating movie in tights, with Jimmy Stewart? Let the gay rumors start.

Okay, maybe not. This is not that kind of blog.

Either way, I just find him so adorable! I want to go take him home.

2 comments:

godofodd said...

I thought you might be interested to know you can watch all of Ice Follies of 1939 on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utwj13iNIMI

Nik said...

Oh wow that is wonderful! thanks godofodd!